• Examples can include bad food, household cleaners, perfumes, nail polish remover, etc.
• If the person is having trouble breathing, is convulsing, is unconscious, or is in pain, call the ambulance immediately. If the person appears to be fine but you want to make sure call your doctor or local hospital. For your area this number can be found at the front of your local telephone directory. In order for them to help you they need to know what the person took, how much, their age and weight, and their present condition. They will either tell you to seek medical help immediately, give them something to drink, or to monitor them to make sure they don’t get worse.
Make sure you do not induce vomiting unless you are told to do so by a physician as some substances are corrosive and may burn on the way up. Also, do not give anything to drink unless instructed by a physician as some substances may react more with liquids. Always keep cleaners and chemicals high up so children can not access them.
• This can include fumes from household cleaners, industrial products, smoke, etc. Fresh air is the immediate first aid treatment. But first make sure you are not putting yourself in danger. Seek medical help for the person immediately. Never mix cleaners unless it specifies on the container. Never use chemicals in poorly ventilated areas.
Be aware: of carbon monoxide as it can not be smelled, has no taste, and can not be seen. It can be produced by any engine (e.g. house furnace, car), or even a fireplace with poor ventilation. Every home should have a carbon monoxide detector. If the detector begins to sound you need to leave the house immediately and call the fire department from the neighbor’s house. Carbon monoxide poisoning makes you feel sleepy and drowsy and can have an effect in a matter of minutes so you aren’t aware of what is happening.
Definition: • A poison is a substance which enters the body and can cause illness or death. It may act within a matter of seconds (e.g. carbon monoxide) or a matter of years (e.g. car pollution).
There are four basic ways in which poison can enter the body; by: swallowing, breathing, injecting, or absorbing. Any of these methods can be life threatening. Many times children are the innocent casualties.
Carbon monoxide: Is blamed for the most fatal unintentional poisonings in the U.S. You should also know that childproof caps aren't really childproof, says the AAPCC. They make it harder for a child to open them. But with enough time, a child can still open a container with one of these caps.
You should take your medicine with a light on to make sure you have the right medicine and the correct dose. Throw away outdated medicines. Most can be disposed of by putting them in the trash. A few should be flushed down the toilet. Check the patient information that came with the medicine to find out for sure.
You can also check to see if your community has a “take back” program to dispose of old medicines. If you have questions about the medicines you take, talk with your health care provider. The toll-free number for the control center is 800-222-1222. If the child has collapsed or is not breathing, call 911.
The American Academy of Pediatrics and other child health experts no longer recommend that parents give children syrup of ipecac. You should also be able to tell the center the condition of the child, how much of the product was taken, the child's weight, and your name and phone number.
You can find out more poison information about a household product by checking the Household Products Database, which is maintained by the National Library of Medicine.
The database lists products by name, category, and ingredients. Other recommendations: Keep household chemicals in their original containers; don't put them in food containers. Carefully read and follow the directions and caution labels on products before using them.
When spraying products, make sure the spray nozzle is directed away from your face and other people. If you are using a product around a child and need to leave the room, take the child with you. It's important to stay away from pesticide areas, because these chemicals can be absorbed through the skin and are quite toxic.
Wild mushrooms may be poisonous; in rainy weather, mushrooms may be plentiful. Pay attention not only to berries growing in the yard, but also the leaves of plants. Just because a wild animal eats a plant or berry doesn't mean it's safe for humans.
2 Injected Poisons: • Some examples include needles, broken glass, mosquitoes, spider bites, bee stings, etc. As soon as possible remove the object from the skin. Clean the area thoroughly with soap and water. If an allergic reaction occurs, or you believe there is a risk of infection, seek medical help. Do not drink milk you need to call poison control before eating or drinking anything.
• These are poisons which enter the body through the skin, but do not cause a puncture. Some examples are household cleaners, industrial products, poisonous plants, etc. Remove the substance as soon as possible by using large amounts of running water.
Do your best not to contaminate other body parts. There are some chemicals that will react more with water, but if you leave them on the skin they will react anyway with skin moisture. Seek medical help. If you work with chemicals make sure you know how to do the job safely and always use safety equipment.
Poisoning may be caused by a number of substances like heavy metals, chemicals and drugs. A normally safe drug taken in excess could act as a poison. Conversely, a poisonous substance may not cause any problem if taken in very small amounts.
Common household poisons that can harm babies and children:
• Nail polish and nail polish remover. • Lipstick and lip gloss. • Mascara.
• Medication including:
*Panadol, *Tylenol, *Aspirin. • Vitamins or other supplements
Cleaning supplies: e.g. bleach. • Aerosols and other insect repellents. • Poisons used for insect and pest control. • Soaps: dishes, hands, clothes, etc. • Smoke from smoking.
Store medicines and products in their original containers.
Lock medicines and household products where children cannot see or reach them.
Use child-resistant packaging. Replace the caps tightly.
Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
Keep purses and briefcases out of children’s reach.
Prevent Poisoning from Medicines:
Read the label before taking or giving medicine.
Use medicine only as directed by your doctor or the label.
Call medicine by its proper name, not "candy".
Take medicine in a place where children cannot watch, because children learn by imitating adults.
Prevent Poisoning from Products and Plants:
Use household products according to label directions. Mixing household products can cause dangerous gases to form.
Keep house plants out of children’s reach. Even if the plants are not poisonous, they might cause choking.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
Keep appliances, furnaces, fireplaces, and wood-burning stoves in good repair.
Install a carbon monoxide alarm.
*Teach your children about poisons. Don’t assume they know. 1-800-222-1222,
SACRAMENTO Phone: 916-459-0185 Address: 1860 HOWE AVE. SUITE 250 SACRAMENTO, CA. 95825 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LOS ANGELES * By Appointment Only 323-214-5464 8383 WILSHIRE BLVD, SUITE 800, BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, 90211 Email: email@example.com